Wednesday, September 5, 2007

It's been a bit since I've blogged about any knitting that may or may-not be going on in my life. And, your going to have to wait a bit longer. I have to take pictures and upload them and I have to do it at home. So by this Friday I will have done all of the above.

I have been a busy girl. I started school, YIPEE! And I am still working. Two weekends ago Ern and I took a trip west to the incredibly crowded city of Berkeley. I insisted that we go to Article Pract to purchase yarn. I had never been there before and I thought both of us could use a little walk. What I didn't realize is Article Pract is 2.5 miles from where we parked. We parked on Telegraph near the University..the store we were walking to is in Oakland. Whoopsie. So, we got coffee on the way and took a cab back. No pictures of the yarn, but I got this little gem of a sidewalk cleaner. I thought it was the new extreme sport of urban asphalt mobiling. Like snowmobiling after the big warm up. Ha!

I do have some pictures of Ern and I at the Beastie Boy's concert that turned out real cute!! We were "sitting" on a hill that was so dammed steep that helpful little Ern (I stress helpful and LITTLE) kept letting people use her arm in order to summit Mount Vesuvius. After the wonderful show we stuck around so that we could watch all the drunkies fall face down while trying to get out of the Greek Theater. Good times. One guy really ate it, and I laughed. People falling never ceases to tickle me. I am fair about it because I laugh even harder when it is I that falls.

Story time....I was leaving a restaurant after dining with my Mom and her friend Linda. I parked a few blocks away as downtown Sacramento is a wonderful place to walk around. A few years ago the city decided to redo the sidewalk ramps that had fallen into disrepair. Good decision. The bad part of the decision was to install these braille-esque yellow mats. Now I understand that these will help the blind realize were the sidewalk ends, but for us that are stability challenged the only thing they do is act as ankle breaking devices. So I'm gleefully walking myself to my ride and come upon one of these mats. I am wearing leather bottomed flats that are especially slick. The moment my front foot hits the stupid yellow tripping mat I slip into the splits. This wouldn't be so bad, but I happened to be in an area of Sacramento where the perfect people hang out. These people don't sneeze, fart, wrinkle, or spill...and they certainly don't do the splits while attempting to cross the street.

What do I do after falling in front of a group of about 20 perfect people. Why, I sit on the dirty ground in my white skirt and laugh hysterically. Do they stop to help me? No. Which is fine, I didn't need their help, I need the help of a walking coach. This wasn't my only encounter with the yellow mat of death either. The other few involve my wonderful platform shoes. You get the idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...that is exactly why I gave up on shoes with heels and no traction awhile back. That and carrying around babies with heels on is the devil.
Pally

Anonymous said...

You would think that blind people would be equally prone to slipping on slick yellow markings...

Can't remember those from the short while I lived in sacramento (fifteen years ago), but I do remember that Downtown was worth the visit.

Glad you're alright. :-) Splits when not warmed-up for them *hurt*.